“I listen to patients to gather information about their wants and needs. And I guide them in a direction that makes the most sense for their situation while addressing their chief complaint.”
While growing up in Perry, NY, Carl Embury became familiar with dentistry through his mother, a dental hygienist, and his uncle, a dentist. And as he went through many dental procedures himself, he observed the interaction between dental staff and patients. He began to view dentistry as a respectable and noble profession that he wanted as a career.
In 2009, Carl earned his bachelor’s degree from Alfred University, where he played collegiate basketball. Then, he attended SUNY Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine and earned his doctor of dental surgery degree in 2013. After completing a general practice residency at SUNY Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse in 2014, Dr. Embury practiced in Richmond, VA. But he soon returned to the Buffalo area to live and practice dentistry. And he is glad he returned because he enjoys the Buffalo area’s extreme four seasons, living in a selfless community, and being close to the action when the Bills and Sabres play.
What He Enjoys About Dentistry
Dr. Embury enjoys general dentistry because it does not limit him to a specialty. Instead, it allows him to relieve pain, improve smiles, and make a lasting impact on patients’ lives. He is particularly interested in oral surgery and grafting, aesthetics, and reducing anxiety for fearful patients. Dr. Embury says that his relationships with patients are most rewarding and satisfying. But playing sports and being on teams as a youth and young adult convince him that the team matters, too. He adds, “My wonderful staff motivates me to work hard as we all share common goals to make the patient experience as positive as it can be!”
His Treatment Philosophy
One of Dr. Embury’s priorities is to help patients save as many teeth as possible and identify the root cause of why they may be developing cavities or gum disease. Then, he can correct or contain the problem and get the patient back to optimal oral health. He explains, “Ideally, I would like to see my patients in the hygiene chair, maintaining their oral health with good oral hygiene.” And Dr. Embury strives to make each patient feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
“When my dad would drive me to school, before I got out of the car, he would say, ‘Be nice to someone new today.’ That has stuck with me throughout my life. And I live by it—even in the dental practice setting with my patients and staff.”
Education and Training
- Alfred University – Bachelor of science
- SUNY at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine – Doctor of dental surgery
- SUNY Upstate University Hospital – General Practice Residency
- American Dental Association (ADA) tripartite member
- New York State Dental Association (NYSDA), 8th District Dental Society – 2014-present
- University at Buffalo (UB) Dental Alumni Association – 2015-present
- DOCS Education member (oral sedation organization) – 2021-present
- Erie County Dental Society – 2015-2018
Professional History and Achievements
- Buffalo Niagara Dental Meeting, Planning Committee chairman – 2015-present
- UB Dental Alumni Association, president (two-year term) – 2020-present
- NYSDA House of Delegates, alternate delegate – 2017
- Earle J. Kelsey Scholarship – Chosen by dental-school peers for good moral character and other attributes
Dr. Embury and his wife, Caitlin Embury, DDS, met in dental school. And they have two daughters, Evelyn and Eleanor, and a Goldendoodle, Betty. In addition to spending quality time with family and friends, he likes to play golf, ski, travel, go to movies and live shows, and dine out.